Blog Archive

Monday, March 25, 2013

Good News and Bad News

I have good news, and I have bad news. I like good things so let's talk about the good news. I saw my team of  "doctors" today while we were visiting family in Utah. The NP went over all my blood work in more depth with me and compared my numbers to where they were in October. They added a thyroid supplement in December and in that short time, one of my levels (Not TSH...I can't remember what it is now) has gone from .7 to 1.9! She wants it in the 2-3 range and said I'm definitely on the right track. She believes my Hashimoto's is eventually going to go into remission and I won't even need my Levothyroxine anymore.

Someone suggested this to me about a year ago- they told me that their Hashimotos went away and I basically told them that's impossible and they probably never had it in the first place. I guess I was wrong and I'm really hoping that bit by bit I can be healed myself!

There's still room for improvement, but so far I'm ovulating again, my thryoid is almost normal, my adrenals are doing what they're supposed to, and I don't have PCOS.

The bad news is that I'm still 100 pounds overweight.

They've tried multiple diets/supplements/ etc. to get my weight moving and so far it's just stuck. I was starting to lose hope. When I start losing hope, I start losing motivation. Once the motivation is gone, I start eating things I know I shouldn't. (Like the bag of jelly beans on the drive home...)

The three people on my team consulted with me and came up with an individualized eating plan for me and they all agree it's in my best interest to eat this way and that if I stick to this program 100%, I will lose weight. They said I should lose at least 3 lbs a week following this program. (Yes, I am extremely skeptical of ever losing 3 lbs a week. I can't even lose 3 lbs in 3 months these days!)

The bad news about this program is that I know I'm going to hate it. I know I'm going to be grumpy, and I know I'm going to want to cheat all the time!

It goes like this:

Yes foods:
Turkey, fish, seafood, all leafy greens, all vegetables that are green, 12 almonds or nuts a day, protein shakes, eggs, all legumes, soy beans, avocados, oils, low glycemic vegetables.

No foods:
Chicken, pork, beef, processed meats, grains, dairy, sugar, flavored drinks, artificial sweeteners, starchy vegetables including potatoes, carrots, acorn squash, sweet potatoes, and all milks including almond milk and soy milk.

Every other day 1 serving of fruit. I can eat chicken sparingly if I can guarantee there are no hormones added to it.

Holy Crap.

How bad do I want this? Is it really worth it to eat like this? I feel like I'm going to DIE! If I hadn't had great results thus far with other areas of my health, I would throw this plan out the window and continue doing what is obviously NOT WORKING, but way more delicious than that!

I hate low carb. I can't say this loud enough- I HATE LOW CARB DIETS! This is about as low carb as you can get.

I also HATE being 100 pounds overweight.

I told her there is zero % chance of me following this diet until I get moved into our house, but I told her that I will do my best to start cutting out my grains, breads, and sugars but the fruit is going to take some time. I anticipate to be going full steam on this program in about 3 weeks.

Oh, and I'm supposed to keep doing my exercise, but dial the intensity back a bit so my body doesn't completely freak out. She said she recommends patients cut out exercise all together when they start this, but I'm not willing to give up my exercise!

I feel so blessed to have found this team of professionals who spend hours with me at each appointment. They have changed my life.  I am looking forward to dusting off my South Beach Diet book to see if there's anything worth making...

Like cauliflower mashed potatoes (I just threw up in my mouth)


2 comments:

  1. Such good news! It sounds like you are on the right track Steph! You are doing awesome and have such amazing will power. I don't know how you do it. Seriously. We are reading a really good book called 'Ultra-metabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss' By Mark Hyman M.D. I don't know if it will work, but it has such great information in it on what foods will kick our metabolism and ultimately our bodies into gear to get us to lose weight. I thought it might be worth a shot, right? It comes with a cookbook too - so double plus. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know. There's so much information in it about the right foods to eat like 'low-glycemic veggies' and all that. And it goes over the science that proves why it works. Check it out.

    And. . . I'll call ya soon. We do have much to talk about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to talk! I just got put on a Soy/Dairy/Gluten free diet and I freaked the freak out! I found a book via an old high school friend called It Starts With Food. The authors are actually from SLC!!! I wish you all the best, if I know anyone that can do this...it's YOU!
    {A}

    ReplyDelete