Blog Archive

Saturday, May 21, 2011

My new walking partners!

Whoever thought I would become a walker? I always thought walking was an excuse for two ladies to get together and stroll through the neighborhood and call it "exercise." Apparently there's something to this whole walking thing!

I did my 4 mile loop with my friend Sharon who is from my ward in American Fork. It was so nice to have someone to talk to and we made awesome time! She wants to work on some fitness goals and I want to do the same.

My cousin is also wanting to be my walking partner so it looks like I'll have someone to walk 4 miles with everyday of the week! My thoughts on strenuous exercise right now are this- strenuous strength training will sculpt, firm, and do cardio all at the same time. I'm not in the mood for that right now. I'm in the mood for an exercise that clear my mind, makes my butt muscles burn, makes me sweat, but doesn't leave me ravenous.

Does anyone else feel like when they start training hardcore it totally flushes their diet down the toilet? There has to be a balance!!! So far the only exercise I have found that I can do that meets my criteria is walking long distances. I guess swimming and biking can go into that category as well but right now I'm all about the walk. Guess it's time for white New Balance walking shoes after all!

So a note about my weight- up/down/up/down/up/down. I have been in the same 2.5 neighborhood for like a month now!!! Seriously. But honestly I just have to say this. It is so refreshing to actually stay in the same 2.5 neighborhood for longer than 12 hours. I'm used to seeing 4-7 pound differences within one day but I really think the medication has finally settled in and my hippy doctor has finally cleared enough allergies and digestive issues that I'm starting to heal from the inside.

I guess in all fairness I haven't been following a strict medifast way of eating for awhile- I'm about 90% but I've been throwing in some whole grains every now and then, a little dairy, occasionally some fruit, nothing major- and my body is loving it. I am not quite ready to just dive back into real people food but it's been nice to relax a bit. I had my first chocolate chip cookie in 5 months today at a birthday party and I would like to leave you all with this thought.

I know this is is revealing my true inner food addict, but I would just like to say the chocolate chip cookies were 100% foodgasmic and I loved them. The end.

4 comments:

  1. I miss you. If my kids could walk more than negative two miles per hour I would SO be there walking with you! :)

    PS I hope your hippy doctor doesn't read your blog - he might get offended. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, walking! I noticed too, that's the only exercise I can do without eating a ton to make up for it. When I was training for a triathlon, I ate SO much and gained weight. Boo. So I'm totally a fan of old lady walking. I wish you lived in Twin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was totally going to ask you about this today!!! I had to give up my gym membership with Rich going back to school, and I lost more weight in the first 2 weeks with only 20min of exercise a few days a week, then I did spending hours at the gym with no change in eating habits! So now I'm training for a 10K and the pounds are coming BACK! That is right, no change in eating, more exercise and more weight!!!?! ARE YOU KIDDING!!! Any advice? I would just say skip the 10k ,but the whole family is doing it, and I just can't be shown up right? (They even have an Athena division!) :) Keep up the good work you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aleisha, I totally feel your pain. It is so confusing, especially for us battling thyroid issues. When I worked at curves I was taught that it takes one month to gain 1 pound of muscle so when you hear people saying, oh you are probably just gaining muscle I think that is probably a little bit misguided advice. I was also taught that when you start exercising again and your muscles are breaking down, you start retaining A LOT of fluid as your muscles tissues start repairing themselves. I think those initial pounds you start gaining is a combo of a lot of fluid retention, and your body adjusting to the wear and tear. Congrats on training for a 10K! That is huge! I am not a professional but my doctor has always cautioned me about eating more when working out and she flat out told me (this is my endocrinologist) that for my body type, I should always limit my carbohydrates to vegetables and occasionally some very low glycemic fruits like berries, and occasionally whole grains, like maybe one serving every other day. I don't know if that helps but she said if I am trying to lose weight, I should limit my calories to 1200, continue moderate exercise and don't eat more just because I exercise. So when I am dieting like that, I choose not to do intense exercise. When I did intense exercise and intense diet, I got so sick and the scale did not budge. I am convinced that for me, weight loss is about 80-85% related to my diet and a very very small percentage is related to exercise. It's something that is so deceptive bc gyms, infomercials, etc will push exercise. Even the trainer at that boot camp place I went to said weight loss is almost exclusively dependent upon proper nutrition and calorie deficit. I would suggest reading my friend's LN nutrition blog, there's a link on my blog list. Also check out EXL fitness in orem utah, he has a blog that is all about how to train and what to eat when you train. He is the one that talks about cardio not resulting in weight loss. Very interesting. here's the link. http://exlfitness.com/2011/05/14/cardio-tips-for-fat-loss/ I totally feel your pain, it's all one giant mystery for me, but that's what I've decided! don't let those 10 pounds get you discouraged, try my gallon challenge mixed with 100% pure cranberry juice, it helps with water retention and drink more water than ever and I bet you'll see things adjust. Good luck, your'e awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete