Blog Archive

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The custard of all custards that melted my heart

So the big news is that I am starting a prepared meal plan which means I'm eating stuff the UPS man drops off at my house. The more I think about this, the more excited I am to stop obsessing about food and recipes and washing my measuring cups and spoons several times a day. I am excited to have someone else do all the thinking for me in exchange for a medium/large sum of money. I actually don't think I'm paying too much for what I'm about to receive. If you are dying to know what I am doing you can email me, it's not like it's that big of a secret but I will tell you it's NOT nutrisystem and it's a program promoted in an endocrinologist's office in both Idaho Falls and Kenewick Washington so you know it's gotta be good.

Alright, alright, you're all dying of curiosity. It is called Medifast, but the overall program is called Take Shape For Life. My good friend April is my new health coach and her blog is on my list of blogs and there is a link to her website if you would like to know more about it.

Well you would think that I would go hog wild and eat all kinds of "bad" foods but honestly the habits I've been working on saved me from sabotaging myself. Of course I thought about it and then said, you know, I respect my body more and respect my body enough to honor its difficulties and challenges and feeding it full of crap is disrespectful. I did decide to enjoy a date night with Dan and enjoy our food without feeling guilty, but still not going overboard. Often when I would start a new diet or program I would go through a period of "This is my last [insert unhealthy food here] I'm going to have for awhile so I better eat it all while I can." This type of free-for-all is so common and I've done it so many times and even did it just a little bit today but I did not go overboard and I did not do anything I wouldn't do on a normal day life so I'm feeling really proud of the steps I've taken to respect my body.

When I was dating Dan, he would save me little bits of frozen custard and share them with me when we would see each other on the weekends. The weekend that we went to Idaho Falls for the first time was also the weekend he was going to ask my Dad officially for my hand in marriage. We were already planning our wedding by this point but he had looked forward to that opportunity for his whole life and wanted to officially ask my dad if he could marry me. The occasion was very special and it happened to be Cherry amaretto cheesecake frozen custard day and before we left he brought home a large custard for us to share. We devoured it because we both love cherry cheesecake more than a normal person and then you throw the frozen custard into the mix...danger!!! I always think of bringing my sweetheart home to Idaho Falls for the first time when I think of this flavor of custard.

As luck would have it, today's flavor of the day was Cherry amaretto cheesecake!!! We had to share one just like we did on our first Idaho trip and because it will probably be awhile before I can reintroduce custard samples into my diet. The thing with Dan running a custard shop is that it really does lose its appeal. At first it was so hard when he'd bring custard home or I'd go visit him...I would eat massive amounts of it because it really is divine. Now, I will have a sample here and there and occasionally share something with Dan but it has to be way good. Today was a "way good" flavor and it was delicious. We  also used a coupon from City Deals at the Santa Monica pizza pasta company and let me tell you, it was so good we purposefully left over half our pizza there at the restaurant. I'm being sarcastic- it was like mediocre cafeteria food with a lot of garnish. We didn't overeat there FOR SURE. Tonight could have been so much worse in the overeating department but I find myself being more particular about eating good, delicious food rather than shoving my face full of food just for the sake of eating. I am making progress little by little and know that once I graduate from my meal program that I will have even more skills and knowledge to help me navigate tricky situations that will most definitely come my way. I am blessed and I am doing good things and have to remind myself of that even when the number on the scale makes me want to vomit. Cheers to working on that bad habit...

1 comment: