Last week I shared how I ate an ice cream bar from Cost-co. An 870 calorie one to be exact. The logic in my head was- everyone else is getting pizza and hot dogs, and if I'm going to "blow it" for dinner, I may as well get something I REALLY want and fore-go actual food.
AFTER I ate the ice cream bar I looked up the calories and then had my heart attack.
You know how sometimes you do something and THEN you realize what you did? Thinking back over my life, I had a few things come to mind that I look back on and think...shoulda looked that up before I ate that...or did that..etc.
1. During college I fell in love with tea. Herbal tea to be exact. In my exploration of tea, I was introduced to Earl Gray. I drank a lot of Earl Gray because someone told me it was herbal. I remember showing up to my early morning Institute counsel meetings with my brew of Earl Gray tea- the tag and all, hanging from my to-go mug- Yeah. That's right. I was bringing Earl Gray tea to my INSTITUTE COUNSEL MEETINGS where the institute president was there every morning as well.
Did you know that Earl Gray is actually black tea? Well I didn't. Shoulda done my research!
2. When I worked at the Tastee Treet in college, I had the great privilege of dipping ice cream cones. I peeked at the nutrition facts once and saw that one tablespoon of the dip had 22 grams of saturated fat. I about puked. 22 grams??? Ain't nobody just usin one tablespoon of dip when they be dippin those ice cream cones! I felt like I needed to jump on the microphone and tell everyone who was getting a dipped ice cream cone to "STOP!!! DON'T DO IT!!!" Good thing I never ate one of those bad boys again (Still haven't...still scarred for life)
3. One time when I was doing weight watchers, I got roped into going to Sonic Drive In. I don't frequent sonic much and I ordered some Reese's Sonic Blast thing. It was amazing. I only had about 5 WW points left for the day and knew my "snack" was going to put me over a little. That bad boy was 22 freakin WW points! I only got 25 points for the whole day! Wipe out. Shoulda looked up those nutrition facts before I left the house!
4. One time I ordered a McDonald's MINI McFlurry. In my mind, it was a small snack. I was following weight watchers again and thought it might be about 4 WW points. Oh no. It was like 9 WW points! For reals? I mean I should have learned my lesson with a sonic blast.
5. Jamba juice used to be everybody's idea of a healthy treat. I mean, it has fruit! Anything with fruit is healthy, right? We all drank those puppies thinking we were picking the healthy option...all those fruit juices, sugared dairy dessert, 4 cups of fruit...yeah that stuff is diabetes in a cup. Your standard Jamba juice has 98 grams of sugar. That is crazy amounts of sugar! Haven't eaten one since, and that discovery was made back in 2005.
There. Those are some of my random horror stories related to food. In a world of dieting sometimes you just have to step back, laugh it off, and start over the next day. Everyone has eaten something at some point that completely blew their diet to shreds without even doing it on purpose.
After my 550 calorie hotdog and 870 calorie ice cream bar, I've learned my lesson. Never leave the house to eat out unless you've looked up nutrition facts BEFORE you go.
No comments:
Post a Comment