What an exciting past 2 weeks. Should I get right to the gross stuff or save it for the end?
My new medical team put me on a shiz load of supplements and a very restrictive diet. She told me I would lose ten pounds in a week and I told her she didn't know who she was working with.
Called that one alright! By the end of week one I was down about 3 pounds...about the same 3 pounds that come and go anyway. I'm almost at the end of week 2 and so far I'm down 4 pounds. I am very very very happy about this milestone. It's not 10 pounds but it's 4!
I'm not losing hope yet, as it's only been 2 weeks. I think like all doctors, she assumed my diet was like a regular person- tortillas, cupcakes, pasta, sandwiches, crackers, ice cream, canned and boxed food, and cereal. She kept kindly reassuring that this new way of eating wouldn't last FOREVER and it would be really really hard. If my diet was like a regular person, then maybe 10 pounds was a pretty decent prediction and I would have a harder time adjusting.
I was already living on lentils, almond milk, lots and lots of veggies, lean meat like chicken, and most things we ate were made from scratch. I hadn't bought a loaf of bread in months and couldn't remember the last time I baked cookies. I haven't always been this strict, but for the past couple of months I've had the support of my husband and our eating habits were already very close to how she's having me eat.
I KNOW we have really fine tuned our eating habits the past few months because my husband's jeans all require a belt!
Since about Christmas time, (That's the last time Dan remembers weighing himself) Dan has lost 15 pounds. He's back down to his marriage weight. He hasn't been dieting, but he started eating like me in May and is down 15 pounds already. He eats a lot more than I do but I'm so proud of his progress!!! he's gone from 180 to 165 without even trying.
We hike and bike a lot. He's become my walking partner. We really do try to be healthy! I think my doctor's prediction was a little too optimistic in the weight department but it's probably because the changes I've made haven't been drastic for me.
I've increased my consumption of beans and lentils, fish, and vegetables. I've eliminated the very small amounts of dairy I was eating, mostly in the form of cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I've cut out eggs, chicken, tuna, sugar, and anything "bread"-like. She told me I could have bread every other day but I've only had 2 pieces of rice bread in the past 2 weeks. I have also cut out the occasional splurge that usually happens at parties and family gatherings.
So how do I feel?
Better but not nothing earth shattering. Too tired and weak to exercise very much...but she told me that's normal and by week 3 I should have my energy back. Tired of having multiple BM's a day.
What feels better?
My shoulder. Ever since I miscarried in September I've had chronic shoulder pain and now it's virtually gone.
My moods- I'm WAY less emotional. I've been much more pleasant and even-tempered. I started to get pretty depressed there for several months. These challenges have been tragic for me. I haven't wanted to see friends or family for several months but I feel like I'm coming out of that. Dan said he noticed I was much less emotional too (he would know, he's one of the few people I see!)
My digestive system- This is TMI, but one day I had 12 full on bowel movements. I couldn't believe it either. Sick and Wrong if you ask me. Made me wonder if those commercials telling you that you have 40 pounds of fecal matter rotting and decaying inside of you might actually be true! Each day it got less and less..8..6...5...and now it's 2-4. (still kind of sick and wrong in my book) I don't feel bloated after I eat, I never feel stuffed, I don't feel lethargic after eating.
My acid reflux is noticeably better. I only woke up once or twice with "fire throat" as I describe it.
My skin has been better. I've switched to an olive oil/castor oil/tea tree oil/lavendar regimen instead of using soap and 2 little breakouts healed and dried up in 2 days instead of 2 weeks.
My few little cravings for fat, ice cream, and cheese have almost disappeared...except for that dang loaf of fancy Irish cheddar I finally bought after wanting it for 6 months...still want to go gnaw a piece off once in awhile. I've had cravings for fat which I didn't expect but not too many cravings for sweets. Sometimes I just want to pound a can of coconut milk or eat the whole jar of almond butter with a spoon!
I'm still waiting for results on the bloodwork I had done so, hopefully that helps put the puzzle pieces together for my NP. Once she determines some things about my pituitary gland and adrenal gland then she'll have a clearer picture about my treatment.
I'm not super stoked about having to get rid of most of my products like shampoo, body wash, lotion, make-up, and anything else that has parabens and "xeno-estrogen". I have my supplies to switch over to homemade laundry soap and homemade shampoo but for some reason I can't help but cringe when I think about washing my hair with homemade shampoo. Is it really necessary?
Baby steps. I'm working on saving glass jars since she wants me to try to avoid plastics but that will take some time. Some of these suggestions will take some time for me but I'm making progress.
I never bought into the idea of chemicals in plastics. My husband freaks out every time I try to microwave stuff in plastic bowls. I guess there's something to it afterall. I don't understand it very clearly but I'll do my best to get rid of plastic stuff. Something about plastic and stuff in lotions and regular beauty products that get into the body and how xeno-estrogen is in these products and it's like poison to the body.
I hope I can lose another 4 pounds in the next 2 weeks because Dan and I are going on a 40 mile backpacking trip and every little bit helps! Hiking 8 pounds lighter is really a significant difference...my tent with poles and rain fly weigh 8 pounds!
I'll keep truckin along and hopefully I'll continue to make progress!
P.S. My facewash recipe was inspired by the lovely Natalie at Natsprat. Her blog is awesome, inspirational, and hilarious. Natalie was one of my FAVORITE people in my neighborhood growing up and if you visit her blog, you'll see why!
Wow, I've never heard of xeno-estrogyns...they sound scary! I do the oil wash, too! I'm so happy to hear it worked for someone else! And I just made the homemade laundry soap last week! I love it so far and it was SOOO easy! I haven't heard of any way to make homemade fabric softener, though. Have you?
ReplyDeleteKeep trucking along! It sounds like you've already made AWESOME progress! I wish I could lose weight that fast!
And I'm so glad it sounds like your digestive system is getting better! I have the same problem with bloating after I eat and it drives me insane. It's like, am I allergic to something or gluten intolerant??? Who knows, it could be a zillion things, huh!
Well, YAY for happy news! *INTERNET HIGH FIVE!*
NATALIE! I should link your blog post about the oil face wash here bc after reading your post and seeing your beautiful skin I thought I would give it a try when my doctor told me to stop using lotions and regular products. I have really loved how my skin feels. Its has more of a glow to it than I'm used to but it's not an oily glow, just a "glow" I have seen people post about using vinegar for fabric softener but I've been afraid to try it bc of the terrible smell of vinegar. I NEVER believed people when they talked about chemicals and pollution and plastic and all that stuff but I think my body's just had a lot of things messed up for a long time and it was just one of the many factors affecting my health. Thanks for the high 5, it means a lot!
DeleteOk, I just put a link back to your awesome facewash post, hope that's ok!
DeleteHave you tried Melaleuca (sp) products? I know they are supposed to be more natural, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for. I'm glad you are seeing some results. Have fun on your backpacking trip. Maybe we'll see ya?? You should stop by - seriously! If you get tired of hiking and sleeping in a tent you can stay at my house in Driggs. :) See you soon!!
ReplyDelete