I have been fighting a super nasty gross cold all week and felt like the whole time I was running I was focused more on not going into a coughing attack. I really wanted to push myself a little harder but every time I started pushing harder my lungs started to burn and I started coughing again.
In the end I ran my 5K without stopping. Considering it was just a little over a month ago that I even started running again and it took me 34 minutes to run 2 miles, I am proud of my 41 minute time. I was feeling pretty good about keeping my 13.5 minute mile pace until I saw on FB that an old acquaintance from high school ran a 10K in 49 minutes. Yeah...she probably doesn't weigh as much as I do...hehehe.
I don't know about you, but holiday weekends are just terrible eating situations. Luckily this year I was so sick that I couldn't really taste my food so I think I avoided a complete suicide food week. With that said I still consumed PLENTY of extra calories and then spent PLENTY of time in bed and on the couch trying to recover from the cold from hell.
I'm not weighing myself tomorrow. I might weigh on Tuesday, depends on if I'm in the mood. I am sure I've gained a few pounds but I am ok with that. That's just part of life I guess! It's like when you have an amazing anniversary dinner or an amazing birthday dinner- you enjoy it and then move on.
I'm really proud of myself for running my 5K and I am really proud of myself for something else. I have been owning my body lately. I have taken pictures of myself without crying. I have seen pictures of myself without coming apart because I'm bigger than I used to be. I am still trucking along. Yes I'm still fantasizing about having a smaller frame and trying to put in the work necessary to achieve that smaller frame but I've also come a long way in accepting the physical challenges that I have.
This week I plan to continue daily exercise (lungs and sinuses willing!!!) and continue eating as healthy as possible. I don't plan to take a break through the holidays but I will enjoy some parties and enjoy the MOMENT without letting it turn into a food suicide mission.
Here are the same pics I posted on FB from my race.
![]() |
| You can see me approaching the finish line. |
![]() |
| Woo hoo!!! I did it!!!! What a feeling. Literally, my lungs were burning and I wanted to cough up my lung. |



That is so awesome. Last year I ran my first (and only) 5k. I worked really hard to be able to run (okay, jog) the entire thing. The day of...I guess I ate too much breakfast but I had a side ache the whole time and had to take walking breaks. I was so mad. But I finished in like 43 minutes. You did awesome - I will never take on a 10k. And thanks for the permission to enjoy a few holiday treats.
ReplyDeleteGreat job! If you need another goal..I'm doing an indoor mini tri on Jan 14th...It is only $15 bucks and you could totally come to Boise and stay with me! :) 8 lap swim, 6 mile bike 2 mile run.
ReplyDeleteAwesome job! I wish I had a running buddy bc I'm a chicken and won't run by myself!
ReplyDelete