Blog Archive

Friday, April 15, 2011

"Asian" cuisine that's totally not authentic

I'm still alive, but life is so full of chaos and change and I'm trying to keep my head above water. In the last 7 days, my husband has decided to take a different route in the field of mental health and I have decided to go back to school to finish my teaching certification. This was a very difficult decision to make because I am interested in so many different things, but I'm ready for a real career that involves teaching music. I've been on the fence for a couple years now about the next step in my career as a musician. Let me just say that being a musician is amazing but I'm ready to get off the freelance teacher/musician train now. It was a fun ride and I'll gladly give my seat to someone else who's ready to give everything to pursue their dreams.

With that said, I have thought so little about food and health. At the end of one day I was very disappointed to realize my headache was not from forgetting my glasses, but it was from the lack of food. No human under any circumstances should live on 400 calories until 8:00PM at night UNLESS you get up at 7:00PM to work some grave yard job, and then those 400 calories should be your breakfast.

I have been eating my medifast meals but I have not been eating every 2-3 hours like I'm supposed to. Oh well, so far today I've been back to my routine and I'm hoping this will carry into the next week of pure chaos as we're trying to figure out how and where to move. More details later on that note.

Now about Asian cooking.

I can cook a lot of ethnic food but I have never made anything "Asian" that I would ever serve to another human being because it was so disgusting. I've tried a few marinades here and there and even bought ingredients from the Asian market and it never works out. If any of you have real "Asian" and by Asian I mean Chinese-ish dishes please give them to me or teach me!

 I know that most Asian restaurants here in America are not authentic and serve wonderful dishes called "Mandarin chicken" with an amazing fried chicken cutlet, and some red sauce full of sugar and karo syrup with a side of "fried rice." Yes, this food is delicious (if you say it's not you are lying) but not anything I could actually eat...or make at home.

I bought this Kraft reduced fat dressing that I have used once. It is an awful salad dressing. Don't buy it unless you use it for this recipe. It is gross atop a bed of lettuce.


Back to the point of this whole post. I threw 2 frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot, covered them with 2 cups of water, a few squirts of this dressing, a spoonful of fresh minced ginger, a spoonful of minced garlic, and some soy sauce. I cooked it on low all day. Then I put it in the fridge because we wanted to go out on our weekly date night instead of eat at home. Random, yes. 

SO today I pulled the chicken back out and it shredded so nicely! In a saute' pan, I threw in 2 cups of frozen broccoli, and a cup of chopped asparagus and then a shredded chicken breast. I added a little more dressing, soy sauce and water let it cook for about 10 minutes. The end result is amazing and delicious. I think I'm going to try cooking chicken breasts in the crock pot more often because the chicken basically shredded itself- I'm picturing all the sauces I could add to shredded chicken...mmmm. So if you want a faux-Asian stir fry that will cost you about 300 calories, give you lots of veggies and protein and just a little added fat, WITHOUT having to go to the Asian market, do what I did. And yes, camera phone picture doing its best to capture the steam.




1 comment:

  1. that looks really good! i will have to give it a try! thanks for sharing. we are having the greek chicken with capers tonight!

    ReplyDelete