Blog Archive

Monday, February 7, 2011

Recipe Bonanza

I've had a request or two for some healthy recipes. Even though I am currently eating lean meat and veggies every night from now until I get all my unwanted weight off, I still love a good healthy recipe! Here's to a few more healthy recipes you might enjoy.

Kansas City BBQ Pork Tenderloin and grilled asparagus






Ingredients: Boneless pork tenderloin- grocery stores usually run these on sale in family packs. Make sure to get the boneless sirloin or boneless tenderloin. However many you need to feed your family!


Spice rub: (from cooking light...I admit I've posted this before but it's the BEST!)


1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons Spanish smoked paprika 
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt. 


Combine this dry rub and keep it in a canister or tupperware for multiple uses. This will last a long time and goes FABULOUS on chicken or pork.


For best results, rub this into your meat and let it marinate for as long as you have. It's still delicious if you don't have time to plan ahead and just rub it into your meat before you grill it.


Place pork chops on BBQ grill and cook until they reach 160 degrees (use a meat thermometer for best results)


OR


Preheat your oven to 425 and place on a cookie rack that is on top of a cookie sheet so all the fat drips off while you oven grill for 20-25 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your pork chops the cooking time might vary. Just check it with a thermometer.




For the asparagus, I coat lightly with cooking spray, spread it out on a foil covered cookie sheet, and then sprinkle with sea salt, and McKormick's salt free garlic and herb seasoning. I love it with lemon pepper and lemon juice as well. Throw it into your 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. Voila! I eat asparagus almost every night, I'm hooked.


Lemon Shrimp with capers and mushrooms


1lb raw, peeled shrimp
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 packet truvia sweetener 
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 tablespoon capers
1 cup chopped mushrooms
4 cups of baby spinach


In a large pan, saute the garlic, oil, lemon juice, and mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes. You might need to add up to 1/2 cup of water to this as it cooks so it doesn't burn.


Once the mushrooms are soft, add the shrimp and capers and cook until the shrimp turn white/pink.


At the very end of cooking, sprinkle a little bit of Truvia sweetener just to cut the sourness of the lemon if desired.


Toss on a bed of baby spinach (2 cups each) and prepare to sink your teeth into a DIVINE salad. 


This will make 2 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment