I entered a competition at my local rec center before I started medifast. This program is called fat blast and it's sort of biggest loser style weight loss stuff. The trainer teaches us about working out, eating to lose weight, and all other sorts of stuff related to getting healthy. We had to weigh in today and I was a little nervous.
I think I still have this complex about "getting to this point." It's like every time I talk to a fitness professional or doctor about my about my goals I end up talking about my Hashimoto's. When I was talking to the doctor at the rec center, he definitely had a quick whit and sense of humor and made me feel comfortable about getting my body fat, weight, BMI etc. I brought up being excited about this fat blast challenge because I've been struggling a lot this last year with my weight and have put on about 35 pounds this year. It was like something inside me felt like I had to also inform him that I have a disease that made it virtually impossible for me to lose weight until I finally got it regulated. As soon as I said Hashimot's he said, oh well it's not your fault! You have an excuse! When you have that kind of metabolic disorder it's impossible to lose weight.
That little phrase was music to my ears. It's impossible to lose weight. He gave me so much reassurance because I said, well I've had lots of different opinions from different doctors about how much of this is my fault and how much of this is disease related. He said well when you have Hashimotos it's like fighting a losing battle because of the metabolic side effects so he commended me for only gaining 35 pounds because it could have easily turned into 100.
That made me feel so much better! I also told him that according to his scale (which was a few pounds lighter than mine) I was down 14 pounds since my heaviest this winter and he about jumped out of his seat with joy! He was high fiving me and encouraging me and telling me to keep going and not give up because I'm doing awesome. It was so encouraging!
This doctor is there the first Friday of every month and it's a free body analysis that measures hydration, BMI, weight, body fat% and BMR. I was really sad about my body fat %. He told me he has seen A LOT worse but to me, I figured I should just audition for biggest loser. I currently have 47% body fat. There, I said it, it's out. I think that concerns me more than my actual body weight. Oh well, I'm moving in the right direction and not giving up.
I could curse my disease or accept it and move on. I'm grateful for a program, medication, and doctors who are helping me fight back against this disease. I'm moving forward and loving myself more each day. I'm excited about my progress and know that eventually, one day, I will achieve my healthy body weight, body fat%, and reach my desired level of fitness!!
What a journey you are on! You are amazing! I have stepped away from the electronic world longer than normal so I played catch up and you are still inspiring me! I often think of Dory on Finding Nemo... just keep swimming, just keep swimming! It is so true! Somedays it is all I can do to stay above water and get my workout in and eat the good food when I have 4 little ones running around that want a cookie now and then and I am eating carrots;) Thank you for being so personal, I learn a lot from reading your entries! keep up the FAB work!
ReplyDelete