So that whole bit about not over eating sugar cookies, that was SO yesterday. I think my total is up to 3 or 4 today. Mmmm....Today was a day filled with unusual hunger. I just felt like it was one of those days I couldn't get or stay full. Does that mean it's almost that time of the month? Am I burning more calories exercising? Am I eating out of stress? who knows. I have no thoughts today other than swimming wore me out WAY more than usual. I haven't swam in awhile, but I was up to doing at least 1,000 meters per work out, usually more, and today I just swam for almost an hour rather than counting laps. I didn't really feel that tired during my swim but I could hardly walk to the car afterward! My diet sucked today- I know that's fowl to say, but it did! Cookies...cheeseburger...popcorn & skittles at the movie...Dan's choice for dinner = 2% velveeta shells and cheese...I feel like a teenager gone wild tonight! Blah. Oh well, Dan has been my ever-faithful workout partner and tomorrow is going to be awesome. He enjoys the endorphins and energy and I enjoy the company and other benefits of exercise. He promised he would exercise on Christmas day even if we just do a video at home.
I feel like it would be blasphemous for me to post a healthy recipe today since I ate everything except the kitchen sink today. However, what better way to motivate myself to cook healthy than to think about healthy recipes!
Parmesan Spinach
1. Saute a couple teaspoons of garlic in 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese.
2. Add 6-8 cups of spinach and keep stirring until wilted and coated with garlic-parmesan
3. Serve immediately
This recipe is one of my favorites for getting lots of leafy greens into your diet. It compliments almost anything and is easy to eat the whole recipe. You get some healthy fat from olive oil and plenty of vitamins and nutrients from the spinach, so no guilt!
Surprisingly delicious and addicting garbanzo beans
1. 1 can garbanzo beans- drain and rinsed and tossed into a bowl
2. Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil to the beans and stir until well-coated
3. Add your favorite herbs- I suggest rosemary and sea salt, so delicious! You can do parmesan, cajun seasonings, whatever you're in the mood for!
4. Transfer beans to a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, keeping an eye on them continually and turning them over once or twice.
I stole this recipe from Natalie Easter, a friend of mine from school. I could have eaten the whole bowl in 5 minutes. They are a perfect finger food for a party or for yourself if you're looking for a great way to add fiber and healthy oil to your diet. For even less sodium, make your own garbanzo beans or cut out the salt. Mmmm.
Homemade wanton chips, recipe from Weight Watchers
1. Spread wanton wrappers (they're sold in the refrigerated section of your grocery store near the Asian foods in the produce section.) out on a cookie sheet, careful not to overlap.
2. brush with olive oil or spray with cooking spray until coated lightly. Flip the wantons and repeat. Sprinkle with herbs of your choice- I like rosemary and sea salt or parmesan.
3. Bake at 425 for 2 minutes, flip, and bake for another 2 minutes.
These cook FAST so you have to watch them so they don't burn. they make an excellent alternative to chips. They're not whole grain, but they're also way better than your fried lays potato chips. Try serving with a spinach dip made with frozen spinach, (thawed) fat free sour cream, parmesan cheese, low fat mayo, and artichoke hearts (optional) or a homemade pesto or bean dip. Yum!
I might add some more later tonight or tomorrow but I'm pooped and need some slumber!
So I'm so excited to try your spinach parmesan. It's so simple, but I always let my spinach go bad, and I have 2 tubs of parmegiano/reggiano mix stuff sitting in my fridge. Yay!
ReplyDelete