Blog Archive

Friday, January 10, 2014

Cereal. Snoring. Broken couches.

Do you ever wish you were FORCED to eat a midnight snack because if you didn't, you would need to go to the ER? Sounds awesome, right?

I have upgraded my gestational diabetes medication requirements to INSULIN. I'm almost 31 weeks and my body just couldn't keep up on the regular medication. (they promise me this is normal and ok)

After a lot of trial and error, I think my insulin doses are where they need to be. Every night for almost a week I woke up covered in sweat, feeling like I was going to pass out. I would test my blood sugar and it was always in the low 50's...I think 65 is as low as it is supposed to go. I also felt like all I wanted was chuckarama to be in my kitchen so I could eat. and eat. and eat. and eat. and eat.

My routine on my hypo-G nights included pounding as much peach juice from my canned peaches as possible since we don't buy juice and then eating cold cereal. I am SO glad that I snagged rice krispies treats cereal at grocery outlet for $1.49 and even more glad that Dan didn't like it. Cold cereal is a diabetes nightmare for me unless I'm hypo-G, in which case it's a miracle drug. and I like it. A LOT.

After about 7 nights of this, it started getting old and my mouth feels like it ate captain crunch for the first time- you know, like you were chewing on glass- and it actually feels really crappy to have super low blood sugar! I was in touch with my Dr. throughout this ordeal, and even with the insulin adjustments, I was still crashing. Even after a nice 60 carb cereal binge at 2AM, I was also waking up in the 50's each morning! And the cycle continued...

I think I'm finally on the right dose and although a part of me will miss my cereal binges...I'm ok with not "feeding the insulin" each night :)

In other news, I've developed a really bad snoring habit and I sleep in a recliner every night, and sometimes Dan has to go sleep in the other room because I'm snoring so loud. SWEET SWEET REVENGE! Jk. I love my Dan. He had a confession to make that one night he used the ipod to record me bc it was so bad. I'm glad that the recording didn't work.

In general-non-health-related-news, don't ever purchase a couch from Big Lots, even if it is name brand. The couch we purchased last year is literally being held together by the fabric on the outside of the couch. the arms were made of carbdboard and I officially collapsed the whole arm of one of them last night. The back has separated from the cushions and is only intact because it's pushed up against the wall. All of the wood inside the couch is broken and you can move the pieces around inside the couch. I don't know how else to describe it other than it's a giant POS! It is less than 12 months old too...Dan claims I "lift a knee and lunge at it like you're a wrestler" every time I sit in it which only contributes to the problem, but I don't really feel like I body slam the couch THAT bad, like bad enough that it literally just breaks into 400 pieces. Time will tell. Perhaps my goal before giving birth is to complete destroy the couch with my lunging.

So. Don't come and sleep over at our house, don't bring me any sugar because I'm diabetic, and don't come sit on our couch unless you want the most uncomfortable experience of your life. Hope you have a great, insulin free weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha! Love it! and Yes, we will come visit no matter what. I"m sorry we haven't been in touch. We need to get together. I'll talk to Rich and make a plan. I know that Dan just went back to school too. Love you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete