The only reason I'm laughing is because I have been making green smoothies for years and years. I'm not saying I'm the only one doing it, but I guess it has become "the thing" to do if you are healthy. I like it because I get new ideas for my own green smoothies!
If my husband can make a green smoothie and like it, anyone can. He loves a good strawberry, blueberry, and spinach smoothie in the morning, so that tells you they aren't that bad.
I have been trying to figure out how in the world our food expenses more than doubled last month when I started eating Paleo. I think it was partly due to the fact that there was a lot of experimenting going on and I bought a lot of things to get me started that I probably won't ever buy again.
Another part of the expense was all the produce and protein. Dude. When did ground beef get so expensive???? We don't particularly like beef at our house so we rarely buy it. I went to buy some for a recipe and about fainted when I saw the price. I have stopped fainting over the price of fish and seafood because it has always been the most expensive meat, but I just always thought beef was the cheap meat.
It looks like bone-in chicken is where it's at! I love bone-in meat when it has been slow cooked because it just falls right off the bone. I still need regular old boneless skinless chicken breasts for normal recipes but I've been trying to figure out how to afford this paleo diet! Here is my plan for February:
1. Continue buying bountiful baskets. Seriously. Where have I been for the last 5 years? I about cried when I picked up my 24 pounds of produce that only cost me $15!!! I told Dan that I needed to take a moment to bear my testimony about this new discovery and he kindly asked if I planned to share that testimony over the pulpit on Sunday. DUH. No way! I just needed a moment to privately bear testimony to Dan that the bountiful baskets were going to allow me to continue eating this way without doubling our food expenses.
2. Bone-in meat baby. Nuff said.
3. The usual stuff like following sales, using coupons.
4. I'm considering dumpster diving after watching "Dive" on netflix. I already have a friend who has said once she has her baby she's totally down with scoping out that option.
5. My final plan of action is to start consuming all the protein powder I've had in my cupboards for way longer than I feel comfortable admitting on this blog. This leads me to my next topic.
How to make a protein shake not taste disgusting.
The reason I have so much un-consumed protein powder is because protein shakes are gross. I hate the taste of fake food and I hate the taste of fake vanilla flavor even more. Don't even talk to me about fake fruit flavors because they are even worse.
I try to kill a few birds with one stone with my protein shakes. I throw in a mix of fruits and veggies with my protein shake and try to cover up the taste with vanilla and or cocoa.
There's something about the bitterness in cocoa (not HOT cocoa, but baking cocoa) that cuts the fake sweet taste of protein powder. Vanilla almost does the same thing. For my favorite protein shake, this is what I do:
1/2 serving of vanilla protein powder
1/2 or 1 whole frozen banana (peel it first, then freeze it in a baggie)
1 cup of almond milk
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 handful of spinach
BLEND. BLEND. BLEND.
| Thank you Cuisinart for making this awesome appliance. I love it dearly. This is a Cuisinart smoothie maker and chopper if you want to buy one. |
Sure, all you purist Paleo people out there are judging me for consuming whey protein rather than hunting wild game, but I feel great about this plan. I figure this shake gives me some good quality protein, some fruit for carbs, some cocoa for antioxidants, and spinach for some veggie power. Plus it tastes really good going down and it costs like $.25 to make. Happy green smoothie/protein shake making!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment