I have been in and out of being interested in keeping a weight loss journey blog for awhile now. It's probably because my whole year of trying to lose weight went like this:
October 2010- started my weight loss journey
December 2010- hit an all time high weight hehehe oops!
February 2011- started Medifast
April 2011- lost roughly 20 pounds thanks to medifast
July 2011- Got pregnant, Yay!!
September 2011- Miscarried, BOO!!!
October 2011- seriously, no clue, gained about 8 pounds POST miscarriage and this was all accomplished while training for a 5K, eating healthy, nutritious food 85% of the time. Throw in the occasional eat my feelings moment...
December 2011- gained 1, yes 1 pound from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I was not exercising. I was not counting calories. I was not giving ANY thought to what I ate because it was the HOLIDAYS and dang it, I couldn't remember the last time I actually enjoyed holiday food! (Thanks to my decision to be a chronic dieter)
January 2012: So yeah...after gaining 1 pound from Thanksgiving to Christmas, I expect to drop at least a pound or so of water weight after starting the Paleo diet. I expected this because it is very low salt, low sugar, low carb, and FULL of fiber and whole foods. And what happens to this lady? I gained 2 pounds the first week of Paleo.
What did I do about it? I called my friend over and forced her to take my scale over to her house and keep it there until she moves in a month.
Mind you, my BFF from piano camp had thyroid cancer in 2009, doesn't have a thyroid, and she has to do a diet that is almost identical to the paleo diet for 8-12 weeks out of the year so she can have some body scan. So we do what any 2 piano camp BFF's would do- we started our diets together. On the same day.
What happens to her? Oh, don't worry, she loses 8 pounds in one week. I gain 2, she loses 8 on the same diet!!! Plus she doesn't even have a thyroid and has to quit her thyroid meds for a week.
She asked me how I manage to not jump off a cliff with my crazy body? To that I respond, well at this point and after a good 2.5 years trying to get my weight under control with little to no success, it almost doesn't even make me flinch. I just kind of say to myself, "Get that damn scale out of my house before someone gets hurt." And then once the scale is gone, I resume my normal activities.
So what do I have to contribute to this blog right now? I don't feel like I have a lot but I'm going to continue writing about my journey just in case in the next 60 years I find a solution.
I am still following the paleo way of eating and just the fact that I feel so much better on it is motivation to continue it. I've done this long enough to know that those 2 pounds that showed up on the scale could have been waiting to make their entrance since Christmas eve dinner and they were just waiting until I expected some weight loss and THEN decided to appear.
Or, it could have been something else. Perhaps I ate too many nuts, too many fruits, too much olive oil. Who knows. I'm not pro at this diet but I've remained faithful to my program and will see how I feel in 90 or so days.
So this is my disclaimer that this might not ever be a weight loss blog, but it's a blog about my journey and about my life as I try to find a solution to my disease and my weight and my issues with a food addiction. Thanks for continuing to offer me support and encouragement. It really motivates me to keep going!
I'm feeling pretty happy right now because I'm actually enjoying this diet more than any other diet I have EVER been on. I get to eat fruit, vegetables, lean meat, and nuts. I never feel bloated. I never feel like I pigged out too much. I never feel my food trying to be digested. My skin is clear and radiant. I get to buy all sorts of delicious produce like fresh blackberries and blueberries, butternut squash, figs, pumpkin, and little mini romaines.
I drink an Odwalla juice every day for lunch and don't feel guilty buying them by the 10 pack at Costco, and I enjoy every last drop. I really am enjoying this diet. Perhaps next month I will consider tracking my calories so I can make a valiant attempt at losing weight. For now I will contribute what I can to this here precious little blog.
LOVE your GUTS!!! I feel the same. I was down to 193 in July for my 10k, now I up to 210! yes, that is right. and that is still getting up at 5:30am to go to the gym and eating! CRAZY! I meet with my dr. tomorrow. I'm so sick of this. I have done councling, depression meds, diet pills, weight watchers, I workout and eat well, thyroid pills...What gives! I have a inkling i might have some hormone issues, or maybe it is just a desperate attempt to explain why I am the way I am, but if not, I think this is it for me. If they test me,and it is normal, i think my next big step is to really just accept me for me. try to be as healthy as I can, and learn to love life again even if it is at 200+ lbs. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty. I feel like in life, we are never "done". I wish we could lose 20 pounds and never have to worry about gaining it back. Unfortunatly and fortunatly, we are never done. We keep working at it and trying to improve. I admire you a lot:) Keep it up...just becoming better every day.
ReplyDelete