Well apparently I'm sleeping better these days. I did keep my food journal updated but I didn't post anything else yesterday. I guess the point of this is really to keep my food journal honest and updated so I didn't fail entirely. As we prepare for the upcoming holidays I was thinking about ways to modify some of my favorite recipes. I know there are some things you just can't slim down but there ARE some ways to cut back and still have a delicious holiday treat. What are some of your favorite holiday dishes? I know mine are the candied yams and rolls at Thanksgiving and of course PIE. Mmmmm, who doesn't love pie? Well I have had a subscription to Cooking Light magazine for years and years and think they have the best recipe makeovers. The food is usually incredibly tasty and filling. Sure, some of their desserts are still high in calories but it's still a lot better than the original. Here is a link to Pie Recipes that will knock your socks off. Need to bring a side dish to Thanksgiving dinner this year? Here's a link to delicious Holiday Side Dish Recipes. I haven't tried this recipe but I plan on it, it's from my good friend, Weight Watchers. This one is for Pumpkin Pie. If you weren't aware, you can get weekly/daily recipes from weight watchers for free in their food and recipe section. You have to be a member to access the whole database but around the holidays check it out. They have amazing recipes that really are low in calories and fat.
Now what to do about dinner rolls. Hmmm....still trying to figure out how to take the calories and excess carbohydrates out of those...My husband can eat 20 dinner rolls in a day so if I ever make rolls he freaks out and eats them all which is lucky for me. I tried this Potato Roll & Bread recipe from Cooking Light last spring and he went nuts. These rolls are so delicious and easy to make. I do caution that they are delicious and dense and chewy...so make with caution. I saw that this clover leaf and honey wheat roll recipe had great reviews so decided to post it for a more fibrous option.
If you have any recipes you'd like to share send them to me and I'll post them here. Alas I am out of time and must clean my house before the marathon day of teaching begins. Until next time, happy baking and happy health!
I've never really made rolls (I know, I'm almost 31 and I've never made rolls....am I even Mormon?); maybe I'll make one of these!
ReplyDeleteHere's a link to some awesome-looking Thanksgiving side dishes. I'm thinking of assigning one to each of my friends....
http://www.self.com/fooddiet/2010/11/diet-friendly-thanksgiving-side-dishes-slideshow#slide=1
SWEET!!! Thanks for sharing! I want to be one of your friends in this project. I'll take a picture and join you all via skype.
ReplyDelete